Learn more about internal medicine, which focuses on diagnosing and treating adult illness.
Internal medicine is a medical specialty dealing with the long-term, comprehensive management of both common and complex medical illnesses of adolescents (age 18 and older), adults and the elderly.
Internal medicine physicians typically treat internal disorders such as diabetes, gastrointestinal tract problems, allergies, immune system abnormalities, stress-related disorders and many other problems.
A physician trained in internal medicine is often referred to as an internist. The internists of our practice typically perform the following services:
- Provide ongoing care for those with chronic illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension or cardiac conditions
- Treat common health problems such as allergies, infections, influenza or pneumonia
- Examine and diagnose patients using medical equipment, instruments and tests
- Prescribe and administer drugs and treatments
- Immunize patients to protect them from preventable diseases
- Perform annual physical exams
- Provide routine gynecological care (including pap smears and post-menopausal care)